At Science Friday we’ve spent 28 years exploring everything from the outer reaches of space to the tiniest microbes in our bodies. We’re great at broadcasting science. And we’ve always been digital innovators—we created the first podcast in public media, and we streamed a radio show online way back in 1993. But we’re so much more than a radio show.
We’re looking for an outgoing, innovative, organized, and collaborative Engagement Producer. This strategic, interdepartmental producer will interact with Science Friday communities across various platforms to facilitate conversation beyond Friday. This full-time position is based in New York City. Salary commensurate with experience.
What you’ll be doing:
Leading Audience Growth Strategies
- Establish clear metrics and benchmarks including OKRs for audience and community engagement, evaluating all campaign/project success and failure, and report findings at production meetings, all-staff meetings, and Board meetings
- In collaboration with our fundraising team, track listener and audience comments for grant reports, applications, and other donor communication
- Maintain communities and engagement on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other social platforms
- Engage with our audience during the Friday radio program; identify, clarify, and communicate comments from multiple digital platforms that could feed back into the live radio program
- Write, support, and disseminate Science Friday newsletters including writing the Weekly Radio newsletter.
- Collaborate with our Chief Content Officer and our program teams (digital, podcast, radio, events, and fundraising) to create audience engagement strategies that help integrate our voice, brand, stories, and communities
- Craft original, compelling narratives and stories for social platforms
- Pitch audience engagement stories and other opportunities at pitch meetings
- Utilize the archive of broadcast, digital, and podcast content to re-introduce our audiences to evergreen Science Friday content they may have never seen or heard
Experimenting With Platforms
- Advocate for and creatively implement campaigns for new and emerging engagement tools
- In collaboration with other program teams, develop questions that invite our audience to actively shape and inform our coverage and disseminate them via social platforms and newsletter campaigns
Leading Digital Outreach and Audience Partnerships
- Identify and cultivate relationships with other media partners for cross-audience engagement
- Help build our syndication network
- Help build community partnerships to grow our audience
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Project management experience in digital media
- Fluent on social media platforms with demonstrated experience
- Excellent collaboration skills and enthusiasm for working as part of a team
- Strong interest in science news and how science intersects with people and culture
- Ace writing and editing skills
- Ability to juggle multiple deadlines and pivot quickly as the newsroom requires
- Demonstrated experience crafting original and compelling social engagements
- Ability to adapt from project to project, platform to platform, team to team
- Strong attention to detail and commitment to accuracy
- Proficiency measuring and reporting on engagement through social and web analytics
- Familiarity with the Adobe Creative Suite, and experience creating compelling visuals tailored to specific social media platforms
- Confidence and experience navigating complex social issues, harassment, and complaints as well as audience requests, accolades, media partnerships, and general questions in a social media sphere
- Audio editing experience a plus
- Expected to be available and be able to work occasional evenings and/or weekends as needed
- Experience building communities of fans who eventually become supporters
- People who love science are very strongly encouraged to apply
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered. Watch out for typos and grammatical errors. You’re applying to be part of a newsroom with a high standard for content.
Cover letters and resumes should be attached as PDFs and addressed to Nadja Oertelt at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use a subject line: Engagement Producer [Your Full Name]
Diversity creates a healthier and more creative atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.