At Science Friday, we’ve spent 28 years exploring everything from the outer reaches of space to the tiniest microbes in our bodies. We’re great at broadcasting science. And we’ve always been digital innovators—we created the first podcast in public media, and we streamed a radio show online way back in 1993. But we can’t do any of this without stellar financial administration. If you’re smart, friendly, adaptable, organized, and passionate about science, we need you to be our new Part-Time Controller.
This position is based in New York City. Hours are flexible, but Monday through Friday 9am to 5pm is preferred (12 – 24 hours per week). This is an hourly, non-exempt position that is part-time and does not include health insurance benefits. HSA/FSA, commuter benefits and 401k available. Hourly rate is commensurate with experience. This position reports to the Executive Director.
- Maintain company Quickbooks and manage all aspects of day-to-day financial operations
- Oversee the processing of all accounts payable transactions, including vendor payments and staff reimbursements
- Oversee the processing of all grants and earned income receivables, individual donations and cash receipts
- Run and post semi-monthly payroll
- Perform monthly bank account and credit card statement reconciliations
- Balance and maintain general ledger accounts by verifying, allocating, and posting transactions
- Perform subsidiary and balance sheet account analysis to ensure accuracy
- Maintain paper and electronic financial & HR files
- Provide grant reporting for foundation and government awards
- Provide monthly organization-wide, departmental and project-based reporting to Executive Director and department heads
- Lead and manage annual audit preparation
- Manage annual 990, state return, and 1099 filings
- Manage all other aspects of financial operations, including: Justworks PEO payroll administration, Concur credit card software administration, liability insurance accounts, non-profit business entity renewals, and HR functions
- Work with Executive Director and CFO to ensure accuracy of budgeting, board reporting, and annual filings
- Work with staff to establish, adapt, and enforce financial procedures and best practices
- Research, advise, and update Executive Director on federal, state, and local requirements to ensure legal compliance
- 7+ years of non-profit accounting experience (science and/or public media-related preferred)
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Highly organized and extremely detail oriented
- Strong knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles
- Strong computer skills (advanced knowledge of Quickbooks, Excel, Word and Google Docs)
- Superior verbal and written communication skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Exhibits a positive and professional demeanor able to diplomatically work with others
- Exercise tact and good judgment in confidential situations
- Has a strong interest in science and/or public media
- Background in government grants compliance
- Database management experience
Please send cover letter and resume, along with hourly salary requirements, to email@example.com. The position will begin April 15, 2019 and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide candidates with relocation packages or additional compensation for moving.
The Science Friday Initiative is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or in any other way prohibited by state and federal law.