SciFri is a 30-year-old prestigious radio program hosted by one of the original reporters at NPR, Ira Flatow. Our organization has a rich history of hosting stories from some of the most revered and important voices in science…lately, Dr. Fauci. In addition to our popular and award-winning radio program, we have a long-standing commitment to educational programming and lifelong learning through events and activities, which have been critical during the pandemic and to encourage the next generation of science enthusiasts.
We’re looking for Board members who share our commitment to science journalism and have familiarity with public radio. We’re looking for someone who loves science and understands what makes Science Friday unique and valuable.
The commitment is three annual meetings and quarterly committee meetings, all hosted in New York. Meetings can be attended remotely or in person. Board members are asked to attend as many of the annual meetings as possible. Board members are expected to financially support the organization by making or securing donations and by attending occasional donor meetings and events.
The ideal Board candidate has:
- A dedication to making science accessible;
- A desire to bring diverse perspectives, energy, knowledge, and skills to the Board;
- Professional experience in one or more of the following areas: finance, media, communications, philanthropy, or law;
- The ability to make a time commitment of two hours per month plus three annual Board meetings which range from one to six hours;
- An ability to support the organization with an annual give-or-get and willingness to either host or attend one annual fundraising event with donors, inventors, partners, or staff. In-kind services are of value to the organization.
How our Board of Directors make an impact:
- Provide perspective and input to the Executive leadership and Board President;
- Guide the organization through participation on a Board Committee, focusing a specific area like Radio, Finance, Education, Fundraising, and Audience engagement;
- Participate in donor development through various strategies and engage members of the community in supporting Science Friday’s work.
If you’re interested in learning more about this opportunity please fill out this form or reach out to Science Friday’s Executive Director, Danielle Dana to discuss further, email@example.com
Science Friday is based in New York City, but will consider candidates regardless of their geographic location so long as they are willing to travel to New York once a year.