At Science Friday we’ve spent 27 years exploring everything from the outer reaches of space to the tiniest microbes in our bodies. In addition to being heard on nearly 400 public radio stations nationwide, we also produce engaging videos, multimedia web features, and a whole array of educational content.
Science Friday Initiative–the organization that produces Science Friday–has a mission to increase the public’s access to science and scientific information. If you share that mission and want to help us grow, you might be a good fit for our Board of Directors.
We’re looking for Board members who share our commitment to science journalism and have familiarity with public radio. We’re looking for someone who loves science and understands what makes Science Friday unique and valuable.
Board members are expected to financially support the organization by making or securing donations and by attending occasional donor meetings and events.
The ideal Board candidate has:
- A dedication to making science accessible;
- A desire to bring diverse perspectives, energy, knowledge and skills to the Board;
- Professional experience in one or more of the following areas: finance, media, communications, philanthropy, or law;
- The ability to make a time commitment of two hours per month plus three annual Board meetings which range from one to six hours;
- An ability to support the organization with a give-or-get of $10,000 annually and willingness to either host or attend one annual fundraising event with donors, inventors, partners, or staff.
How our Board of Directors make an impact:
- Provide perspective and input to the Executive leadership and Board President;
- Guide the organization through participation on a Board Committee, focusing a specific program area like Radio, Education, Video, Fundraising, Events, Finance, and Engagement;
- Participate in donor development through various strategies and engage members of the community in supporting Science Friday’s work.
Please send a letter that outlines your interest and qualifications using the following form:
Science Friday is based in New York City, but will consider candidates regardless of their geographic location so long as they are willing to travel to New York once a year.